Sunday, December 11, 2016

Employee Development

     5 Reasons for a Company-wide Employee Development Plan:

Click Link: 

    Note: (Make sure your speakers are on and use arrows from the beginning to hear audio) 

      Personal Development Plan:
Employee development is crucial to ensuring that employees have the competencies necessary to serve customers and grow. Here is a list of four personal development plans that I am going to present to my company in order to initiative so that I can grow and also strengthen the organization I work in.



Assessments:
Within my organization I can use assessments to identify managers with the potential to move into higher-level executive positions, and use them with work teams to identify the strengths and weaknesses of individual team members. Assessments can help my team and future employees understand their tendencies, needs, the type of work environment they prefer, and the type of work they might prefer to do (Noe, 2013). 

Mentoring:
Research indicates that 70% of learning happens on the job, 20% by observing others and only 10% through formal training (Tiao, 2014). The truth is that most business leaders now rate informal approaches as having more impact than formal training initiatives. With this in mind I see mentoring playing a large role within the development strategy within our organization. Through intentional mentoring I can help employees under me understand the organization, guide them in analyzing their experiences, and help them clarify career directions (Noe, 2013).

Professional development:
When professional development is connected to the overall mission of an organization it can prepare employees for other positions. Noe (2013) states that, “development prepares them for other positions within the company, and increases their ability to move into jobs that may not yet exist” (p.367). This type of future oriented professional development is able to retain employees because they see that the company has a vision for them. By having the organization invest in my own personal development I am increasing my own value and overall worth. One example of personal development is my pursuit for higher education in order to advance my career.  

Job experiences:
For any employee to succeed in their jobs, they must stretch their skills and apply their skills and knowledge in a new way, and master new experiences (Noe, 2013). A new job assignment for my role within my company would look like traveling to a new orphan care project in order to learn how they operate. This type of experience would allow me to take advantage of my existing skills, experiences, and contacts, while helping me develop new ones in a new context (Tiao, 2014).





References

Growth Engineering (2015). How To Promote Informal Learning. Retrieved from: http://www.growthengineering.co.uk/sharing-knowledge-what-does-your-lms-do-to-promote-informal-learning/

Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Employee development [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Noe, R. A. (2013). Employee training and development (6th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw Hill.

Pontefract, D. (2013). Dear C-Suite: We don’t do training. Chief Learning Officer, 12(11), 40-43.

Tiao, S. (2014). Our Tips Revealed: Employee Development Program Best Practices. Retrieved from: http://chronus.com/blog/tips-revealed-employee-development-program-best-practices


Wright, K (2014) Development is a Marathon, Not a Sprint. (2014). Personal Excellence Essentials, 19(4), 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment